[lug] Strange network happenings

David Morris morrisde at frii.com
Mon Mar 13 20:14:08 MST 2000

For general consumption, if this helps solve the problem:  Although I
have been nominated for near guru status in the Windows world, I am
rated no better than very knowledgeable and learning fast in the LINUX
world.  My assumption is that this is an issue of routing packets from
the outside world to my private network, but that could just be my
ignorant assumption speaking...how likely is this to be a windows problem
versus a linux problem?

I have done tests with ping and traceroute between the win95 computer
and the sites on the web that will not load, and they are always
successful.

A thought, though:  Is it possible that the sites that fail are
attempting to use some port other than port 80?  (such as port 137
for secure connections) that is having troubles?

> It should forward all, or none.
>
> That _is_ a strange problem.
>
> Does your choice of browser (Netscape, IE (boo ... hiss), Opera) affect this?

As I said, very strange indeed...for instance, although the sites that will
choose to not load changes from session to session, www.intuit.com is
fairly consistant in not wanting to load.  If I have the problem in one
browser, I can absolutely guarentee I will have the problem in any other
browser I care to try as well...

> FWIW, my mother's computer has a problem loading some web pages with Netscape,
> while my dad's computer has no problem at all with the same pages.  They both
> connect via a Linux firewall/ip masq gateway to the Internet - with the same
> settings.  In such a case the only thing I can think of is that Mom's Windows
> box has some incompatible DLL, since the network settings are identical.

Hmm...you do have a point about the DLLs.  A corrupted DLL somewhere can
produce some *very* strange effects, so perhaps it is time to re-install
Win95 again...I must say, I much prefer LINUX where I do not have to reinstall
the system every few months!