[lug] PPP + ipmasq + diald on Debian

Michael Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Tue Mar 14 14:00:18 MST 2000

dhassler at webdat.com wrote:
> I'm using Debian 2.2 frozen, and am trying to use the

This is potentially part of the problem.  I'm doing the same at home,
and I find that quite often, a broken package will kill something.  So,
that's a possibility to keep in mind on the whole issue.

> ipmasq package with diald and ppp.  I've got a static
> IP with my ISDN, and can manually start a PPP connection
> with no problem ("pon; ipmasq"), and it masquerades fine.

You can fix this (do it automatically) by editing /etc/ppp/ip.up (or is
it ip-up?). Anyway. simply adding ipmasq at the end will do it for you.

> However, when I try to add diald into the equation, things
> start to fall apart.  If diald does start a connection, ipmasq
> denies packets from going out, even if I run ipmasq by hand.

My opinion on the issue is this: dpkg -P ipmasq

Email me later, to remind me to give you my firewall scripts.  They're
at home, and I'm not. However, I've got them configured to allow me to
dial out from any box on my network, connect to the net, and use it as I
see fit.  Plus, the settings also provide reasonable firewalling in the
process.