[lug] Alpha install

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Mar 17 15:12:28 MST 2000

Thus spoke George Sexton
> The installation should be pretty straight forward. The two screwy things
> are:
>
> 1)	BSD partitioning. You have to use it on SRM. If the installer doesn't do
> it automatically, you really need to read up on this before doing it. It's
> different than PC style partitioning.

I'll have to wait and see what the DS10 offers.  The 5000 was pretty
convoluted - it was next to impossible to figure out how to get it to boot
off the CD or even get to an SRM prompt so I *could* give a "boot ...blah..."
command.

> 2)	SRM Variables. Setting the default variables so the system boots without
> a console command.

The Red Hat web site had some info on this, which is how I realized I
wasn't going to be able to boot into Linux on the 5000 - you couldn't get
an SRM prompt.  Its using an AlphaBios, which is supposed to be different.
The web site also talked about using this interface, but the info online
didn't say which image to use from the boot images directory on the CD.  In
essence, I don't think the 5000 was supported.

The DS10 should be a little easier to figure out.  I hope.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  If quitters never win, and winners never quit,