[lug] Alpha install

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Sat Mar 18 08:46:26 MST 2000

The systems will probably work, it's just a matter of really figuring out
what the model is for the system.

Alpha Bios is totally different from SRM. On the system I have, the only
reference I had for the Alpha Bios was an NT oriented one. Still, it's a
little easier for PC types to understand than SRM... I put RedHat 6.1 on a
Ruffian with an Alpha Bios. The problems I hit were:

1)	MILO wouldn't work because the video card was not in slot 1. This is a
Ruffian Issue only.
2)	MILO from RedHat just didn't work at all. I ended up using the MILO for
Ruffian from a SuSE disk.
3)	DHCP client didn't work. I had to fix the IP Address.
4)	The clock was whacked. I had to change the default init script to not
pass the Alpha Bios option. Evidently, I flashed the Bios up to a version
that didn't have the quirk expected by RedHat.

Once I got past 1 and 2, it was pretty easy.

The best source of information on Alpha is AlphaLinux.com. They have a
number of FAQ's that are incredibly helpful. Even with the FAQ's, Alpha is
not for the faint of heart.

If you want, I can help you get one running. I am in Broomfield just off 36.
Give me a call, and we can set something up.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585 x102
Fax: 303 469 9679