[lug] Network problem

Ed Preble preble at yogi.nmmi.cc.nm.us
Mon Mar 20 13:03:47 MST 2000

On a school network which is currently using NT and VAX systems for the network (old Appletalk network) using Ethernet.
I reformatted a GW200 from Win98 to 5.1 Red Hat then upgraded to 6.0.  When using 5.1 I was able to connect to the school system using a static internal (10.xxx) addressing scheme - and trying the school's "test" DHCP from a Linux machine.  However, when they shifted the DHCP to the VAX, I lost the connectivity.
I have the possibility of two static addresses - one the network people set 10.xxx, the other is the old DNS address I had on the GW200 - a 204.xxx addressing.  In both cases I have a gateway address and  a domain address.  My card is a 3Com509 Combo card and worked fine under Win98 and RH5.1, but not now under 6.0.
Can anyone help? And, no the IS people won't as I'm trying to do this via Linux.

E Preble - NMMI - 505.624.8406 - preble at email.nmmi.cc.nm.us
Integrity means to follow the harder road of duty according
to Truth and a fixed Principle. It is also shown by daily
practice and not profession.