[lug] fortran compiler

Richard A. Perkins perkins at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Mar 22 12:21:00 MST 2000

Hugh,

The public Fortran compiler g77 seems to work well on most clean Fortran
77 code.  It is not as robust or forgiving as some of the commercial
ones.  I have tried the Portland Group pgf77 and pghpf compilers.  I
found the Portland Group licensing to be too restrictive (1 user node
locked).  I have also tried the NAG Fortran 90 compiler (actually a
front end for gcc).  My favorite commercial compiler at this point is
the Fujitsu Fortran 95 compiler.  It is robust with very good
compilation and runtime diagnostics.  I can run the compiler on my
ancient fortran and it works without complaining.  Also it is quite
inexpensive.  It is available either through Fujitsu of Lahey.

Rich

Hugh Brown wrote:

> I am looking for a good fortran compiler for Linux.  Recommendations?
>
> Hugh

Richard A. Perkins
NIST 838.07
325 Broadway