[lug] LILO problems "LI"

JEFF PFOHL pfohl at sandia.gov
Fri Mar 24 22:55:35 MST 2000

I've searched through the archives and found some advice from
September 1999 but alas it didn't solve my problem. So I'll post to
see if there is someone who perhaps knows of a solution. I can provide
LOTS more detail if requested.

Trying to install RH6.1 on my HP Vectra VL. This machine is currently
running RH5.2. I'm installing 6.1 on a new hard drive. I tried an
upgrade last week from 5.2 to 6.1 using the RH6.1 CD but it claimed I
didn't have enough space in /usr which didn't make sense to me and I
couldn't find a way to get it to work. If there isn't a good solution
to the problem below my next plan is to try to upgrade the kernel
separately and then try the 6.1 upgrade.

This machine is 100% IDE.

Hardware on the machine:
3.5" floppy
Seagate Travan TapeStor Model #: STT220000A-RFT
	(ATAPI DRIVE)
CD-ROM (read only)
8.4 GB IDE harddrive from Seagate

Did a custom install from the RH6.1 CD. I did this last month on my
Dell 410 so figured this would be easy tonight. Silly me.

Partitions:

/boot	     hdc1    10M
/home	     hdc5    5500M
/usr/local   hdc6    1000M
/usr	     hdc7    1000M
/tmp	     hdc8    200M
/usr/src     hdc9    200M
SWAP	     hdc10   124M
/var	     hdc11   50M
/	     hdc12   100M

Created a boot diskette. Rebooted the machine and only saw "LI" from
the "LILO boot:" message. OK booting from floppy does work. Check out
what happened:

root> more /etc/lilo.conf

boot = /dev/hdc
map = /boot/map
install = /boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout = 50
default = linux

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
label= linux
initrd = boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
read-only
root = /dev/hdc12

Doesn't appear too strange. Should be ok right?

So let's try it by hand:

root> /sbin/lilo

ide tape: hda: Unsupported command in request queue
end_request: I/O error dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

ide tape: hda: Unsupported command in request queue
end_request: I/O error dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

ide tape: hda: Unsupported command in request queue
end_request: I/O error dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

ide tape: hda: Unsupported command in request queue
end_request: I/O error dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

ide tape: hda: Unsupported command in request queue
end_request: I/O error dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0

Added linux *

root>

So I reboot and still get stuck at "LI".

Reboot with floppy and check out /dev/hda

root> ls -l /dev/hda
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 3, 0 May 5 1999 /dev/hda

I tried taking the Seagate tape device off the chain, reinstalled from
scratch, same problems.

I tried using "linear" in the install as suggested by David Outteridge
on 14-Sept-1999 on this list. Same problems. Did this with and without
the Seagate on the chain.

Any clues/advice/help??

Thanks!

--
				JEFF PFOHL
			 	E-MAIL: pfohl at sandia.gov
				PHONE : (505) 844-7033  work
					(505) 299-9516  home
        				(505) 844-6729  fax
				http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people:
 Those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to
 try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

 - Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India