[lug] Linux DBMS

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Mon Mar 27 10:11:45 MST 2000

On  0, Evelyn Mitchell <efm at tummy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:35:30AM -0500, Subba Rao wrote:
> >
> > I am currently looking at using a DBMS server on a Linux system.
> > Are Linux systems used as DBMS servers? If yes, what HW configuration
> > would be recommended for a DBMS server for a e-Business application?
>
> Yes, Linux has several good DBs available, from the free and fast
> MySQL, to the free object relational PostgreSQL, to the commercial
> Databases: Informix, Oracle, Solid and others.
>
> The HW configuration depends on your requirements for storage
> capacity, speed, transactions, reliability.
>
> > Which DBMS systems perform well on Linux and are not resource hogs?
>
> It depends on what you're trying to do.

The problem here is that there is no capacity planning done. We don't know
if the application will be widely used or be left to die a slow death.
Assuming that it is somewhat popular, what type of HW is typically used in the
commercial environment. Most commercial servers seem to have RAID disks.

I have used Postgres long ago and was impressed with it. I have never used
MSQL. What is the support like for the commercial systems on Linux?

--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com