[lug] resolv.conf question

Gary Masters gmasters at dotsplat.org
Sat Apr 1 22:43:02 MST 2000

On Wed Mar 29, 2000 at 10:54:56 -0700, Ferdinand P. Schmid wrote:
> HI,
> I have a server setup where I list my own machine as the first name
> server in resolv.conf.  Then I list the out of house machines.
>
> Since my own machine is running a caching DNS this setup seems to make
> sense.  But what I do notice is that I can't find any internet addresses
> with this setup.
> Can I only list one name server in resolv.conf?  What would be the
> proper setup?

You can list up to three nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, but you
will use the first one that answers.  Try adding a forwarders and
slave directive to the named.boot/named.conf (as appropriate) of
your nameserver.  Forward to a nameserver that you know can
resolve Internet addresses.

--
  Gary Masters
  gmasters at dotsplat.org