[lug] The BLUG presence at the Computer Technology Showcase and Internet Expo

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Apr 3 15:21:05 MDT 2000

OK we need to start getting really serious about our presence at the
Computer Tech. Showcase and Internet Expo (CTSI/IE).  This is a corporate
technology event targeting the CIO's and buyers in the area.  This is our
chance to show corporate America that Linux is a viable alternative.

I have managed to get us two presentation/seminar slots at the show, that
have been filled by the following speakers:

  -   Speaker:  Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com>

      Title:  Linux Servers in Small to Mid Size Corporations

      Abstract:
      This presentation will describe the implementation of Linux based
      systems for file serving, web and ftp serving, firewall/gateway
      service, and e-mail hosting.  Based on our experience with Linux
      systems over the past 1.5 years the presentation will deal with cost
      of ownership, reliability, security, integration into a Windows
      dominated environment, and other issues.

  -   Speaker:  Robert L. Harris <Robert.L.Harris at rnd-consulting.com>

      Title:  Linux fulfills low cost "Server Quality" needs

      Abstract:
      With the growing need for servers of various strengths and services
      fighting the ever constraining budgets, Linux fills the server room
      out with fast, stable and flexible configurations.

Ferdinand and I have also been talking quite a bit about what to put into
the booth.  The current idea is to emphasize how Linux, unlike other
alternatives, has a very low cost of entry, runs on diverse computing
platforms, and inter-operates very well with other common operating
systems.

To this end we have been trying to pull together a collection of hardware
from various vendors.  The difficulty is that since this is a high
visibility show, we really need pristine equipment.  It probably isn't a
good idea to show up with an old, heavily used machine.  So far we have
spoken to VA Linux, SGI, Compaq, Yellow Dog, and LinuxMall about the
possibility of them providing us with these machines. We aren't yet
certain what equipment we can get from these people however.

One thing that I've been thinking about since Saturday is that simply
creating a small heterogenous networking environment probably isn't
enough.  What we really need is something that demonstrates how well this
network works.  Simply saying that hey look, we can share files with all
of these diverse machines is probably not enough.  Any ideas?  What could
we do that would show off Linux as a enterprise wide solution?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)