[lug] Changing paths

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Apr 4 15:09:30 MDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Ken Weinert wrote:

> * Wayde Allen (wallen at boulder.nist.gov) [000404 13:43]:
> >
> > But wouldn't xauth only affect X-sessions?  I'm coming in to my work
> > machine through the NIST modem pool, and then rlogin into my office
> > machine.  Since X isn't involved I'm more inclined to think I'm seeing
> > something in the login scripts somewhere.  Unfortunately I'm a very poor
> > shell programer.
>
> 	Is your id the same coming through the modem pool? I know that
> here the RAS users (modem users) have a different id/entry in a
> password file. Is it possible that your dialup id is using a different
> shell and so not getting the environment set up correctly?

I use the same UID whether I'm sitting at the console or coming in via the
modem pool.  To the best of my knowledge the only difference is that in
one case I'm logged in from the console, and in the other case I'm logged
in as a remote user (tty).  Running the "last" command indicates that I
was connected via ttyp0 via the modem.  My guess was that it might have
something to do with /etc/login.access but so far I don't see it.  I'll
keep looking or simply resort to using explicit path descriptions.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)