[lug] Changing paths

Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Apr 5 10:37:57 MDT 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Carl Wagner wrote:

> Wayde,
>
> I have experienced this under AIX.  When logged into the workstation, some
> environment variables,
> including, my path were set one way, and when I telnet-ed to the same box they
> were set differently.  So... the way I understand how this works is
>    KSH  - when logging in the console/x-session you run .profile, then when a
> terminal is started
>                the .kshrc is run.
>           when telnet-ing rlogin-ing just .kshrc is run
>    CSH/TCSH - console - .login then in a term .cshrc
>           telnet - just .cshrc
> It may also affect how the system wide startup files in /etc are run.
>
> Anyone have a better idea how all this works?  I would be glad to know more/be
> corrected about
> all this.

Indeed, I've never been able to keep this straight in my mind.  Anyone out
there want to explain when the scripts .profile, .login, .??hrc run?

I'd still like to find someone who could give a presentation on the
boot process and the boot/login scripts.  Of course, it might be a good
idea to have a talk on shell scripting first.  Any takers?  The next free
speaker slot isn't until September.

If nothing else this might be a good candidate for a few Newbie columns.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)