[lug] clock not setting

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Thu Apr 6 12:15:59 MDT 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Carl Wagner wrote:
>
> > do you guys have a public NTP server at NIST?  If so what is the IP/hostname?
>
> Yes, I believe there are several.  You should be able to set your system

I heard at one time that you should only use stratum 1 servers if you
are a server for other time services. Thus, a company that was only
synching their internal servers and workstations should use stratum 2
servers to sync against. These stratum 2 servers might be synching from
the stratum 1 servers. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.
Stratum 2 servers are usually very reliable from my experience...and
don't vary from the stratum 1 servers much. RFC-1305 describes
everything about NTP you could ever want to know.
--

----
Kyle Moore
Email: kmoore at trustamerica.com