[lug] Idea for a new tutorial....maybe???

JEFF PFOHL pfohl at sandia.gov
Sat Apr 8 17:20:53 MDT 2000

First what is IN my ENV:

/home/pfohl> env
USERNAME=
HISTSIZE=1000
HOSTNAME=MYBOX.sandia.gov
LOGNAME=pfohl
HISTFILESIZE=1000
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/pfohl
TERM=vt100
HOSTTYPE=i386-linux
PATH=/home/pfohl/bin:/home/pfohl/bin/pgpstuff:/usr/local/netscape:/usr/ucb:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/new:/etc:/usr/hosts:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/Acrobat3/bin:/usr/local/jre117_v1a/bin/java:.:/usr/local/ngrf/bin
HOME=/home/pfohl
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
SHELL=/bin/tcsh
USER=pfohl
BASH_ENV=/home/pfohl/.bashrc
HOSTDISPLAY=MYBOX.sandia.gov:0.0
LC_ALL=en_US
DISPLAY=:0.0
LANG=en_US
OSTYPE=linux
_=/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm
LINGUAS=en_US
SHLVL=1
WINDOWID=46137358
VENDOR=intel
MACHTYPE=i386
PWD=/home/pfohl
GROUP=pfohl
HOST=MYBOX.sandia.gov
WWW_HOME=http://www.sandia.gov
EXINIT=set redraw wm=8
EDITOR=emacs
SYM_DIR=/usr/local/ngrf/lib
EFF_DIR=/usr/local/ngrf/effic

OK a few quick comments on setting the ENV:

You will note there is a LOT going on here. You set some stuff from
your web browser (WWW_HOME for instance). I actually set this in my
.cshrc.  A lot is established when you set up your system (host name,
OSTYPE, LANG, etc). The path is one of the main things you alter. I
have my PATH defined in my .login with a simple

set path=( PATH STUFF)

I also set my editor in my .login (not sure if this is necessary, I've
just always done it.)

setenv EDITOR emacs

The display can also be altered if you need to send an x-window
somewhere else which allows you to (xhost +). A few are defined in
/etc/passwd including the group and pwd.

I also have some special programs NGRF which have their own .ngrfrc
file:

# .ngrfrc
#
#  Define path and variables for the use of NGRF(LIPHA) package.
#  Source the file in .cshrc or .login.
#---------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  An environment variable for the home directory of NGRF
#
set NGRF_DIR = /usr/local/ngrf
setenv SYM_DIR $NGRF_DIR/lib
setenv EFF_DIR /usr/local/ngrf/effic
#
#  Add $NGRF_DIR/bin to the searching path
#
set path = ($path $NGRF_DIR/bin)
#
unset NGRF_DIR

Does that help a little? not exactly a tutorial but instead just a
quick walk through some of what I have.

--
				JEFF PFOHL
			 	E-MAIL: pfohl at sandia.gov
				PHONE : (505) 844-7033  work
					(505) 299-9516  home
        				(505) 844-6729  fax
				http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl

"My grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people:
 Those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to
 try to be in the first group; there was much less competition."

 - Indira Ghandi, the late Prime Minister of India