[lug] Learnin Linux on yer own..... my own little RFC!!!

John Starkey jstarkey at polaris.umuc.edu
Sat Apr 8 18:36:13 MDT 2000

Good. This makes me feel better. I've got 4 boxes at home. 1 iMac (for
art), RH6.1 box, FreeBSD, and since I suck at setting up printers I am
using the 66MHz box as a printserver and I gotta use Winbloze since I will
be using a Win-printer (although I do have a Lexmark 1000 that I can't
get working with Linux, lack of time and knowledge (for now)).

Right now I am IMAP'ing with fetchmail and sendmail (from Boulder to
Denver) with the Linux Box which
serves all my info for the FreeBSD and iMac there using a new 40 gig H/D I
installed. Most of this equipment is peacemeal. (I installed it, buying
everything separate and installing it.)

I'm serving ajstarkey.com from the linux box with apache. It's a b-day
gift for my father who is a self-employed CPA in Maryland. So it's not up
yet.

I ftp everything to/from Boulder when at my fiance's house. As well as run
an anonftp for some friends that may need things. If I haven't set up an
account for them.

I don't know the FreeBSD box too well yet. I've been installing it via FTP
through the linux box a little at a time.

And right now I am trying to master 'classes' in C++. I'm pretty damn
proficient with vi now, thanks to you, BTW (when's the advances course
start:}).

I've got experience with high-end digital audio, syncronizers, processors,
OCR, etc.

So anyway. I feel much better about applying. I need to get the hell outta
my field. To dangerous. (I'm an international spy, ok... ok... , printing
press operator but it's still scary at times.)

I won't have access to any of the non-free UNIX systems though.

Any suggestions on what positions I'd almost/qualify for. What is the
general make-up of this group?? Is it mostly home users or pros. I've been
a member for about 5 months and still haven't really gotten a feel for
that. I know there's several .gov addys on here.

Is this too personal for the group discussion??

I'd be interested in hearing what the others on the group do and how they
got into the field, and what they need to know.

John