[lug] Idea for a new tutorial....maybe???

John Starkey jstarkey at polaris.umuc.edu
Sat Apr 8 18:44:42 MDT 2000

Damn you guys are quick. You and Jeff both.

There's a lot of info here. Thanks. ENV wasn't exactly what I was thinking
it was but it's along the same lines. Kinda like setting up the desktop,
but the shell.

What exactly is the PATH? It determines where the shell looks for the
explanations of what you type, so it can pass that to the kernel????

I'm creating this database program for my fiance that will be customized
for her field (pianist). It's called 'practice'. How would I put that in
her path so that she can type in the name 'practice' and it opens the
program.

And what did you mean by "forking a process". I use 'ps' a lot I know what
a process is and how to determine parent/child and initd, etc. But how is
a process created (ie, the forking)?

TIA,

John