[lug] Idea for a new tutorial....maybe???

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Sat Apr 8 20:16:29 MDT 2000

>>>>> "John" == John Starkey <jstarkey at polaris.umuc.edu> writes:

John> Nope sorry. Next time I'll snip the parts you didn't need.

thanks.

John> How is that causing a problem??

i suppose my issue is primarily that i am used to a much more
conversational quoting style (which i hope is what i use), not the
"add four lines at the top, and just fire it off" approach.

John> Is it that much bandwidth??

well, you added about 300 characters of new content to an existing 3kB
message.  send that out to 400+ people, and you're talking a few
megabytes.  *shrug*  not that much anymore, but again, i have the
habit of assuming that anything quoted in a message is quoted there
for a reason.

John> I though (quoting the whole message in this circumstance) would
John> be better for the archives in terms of read-ability.

isn't that the entire *point* of the archives, to keep full copies of
everything we send back and forth, so we *don't* have to keep on
sending duplicates of everything?

in fact, i've found it much faster to only reply to the relevant bits,
then just use the thread-based archive index to go back to the earlier
messages.

so it's not a huge deal, it's just (in my eyes) a matter of courtesy
to other list members.  *shrug*

t, awaiting the "yeah, and using non-standard capitalization is
courteous" responses....  :)

p.s. usenet and mailling-list netiquette FAQs:

   http://www.best.com/~cattekin/etiquette.html

   http://www.gweep.bc.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html