[lug] Learnin Linux on yer own..... my own little RFC!!!

David Morris morrisde at frii.com
Sat Apr 8 21:08:39 MDT 2000

All the other notes about working with LINUX/UNIX are great, and are without
question some items to tackle, but I would put one skill ahead of all of
the others:

	The willingness to play around.

No matter if what you are doing is System Administration, Programming,
Support, or what, this is by far the most important skill.  Yes, at first
you will probably start out mucking things up royally (at least I did and
so have several people I know!), but you learn from this.  If you manage
to get your test system so bad you have to wipe the hard-disk and start
from scratch, great...you get another chance to get more information out
of the install process.

In the last several years, I have worked with a lot of computer people
ranging over just about every side of computing you can immagine.  The one
trait that all of them who were good at thier job had in common was the
willingness to play around.  Eventally, and sooner than you might think,
we all reach a point where the results of the playing around produce bad
effects only rarely...and most of those can be corrected quickly before it
becomes a problem.  I am willing to bet that any good programming/sys. admin/
whatever could say, though they might not outwardly admit it, that they
frequently do things that they do not know ahead of time will work.

And furthermore, I would have a low opinion of anyone working in computers
who claims they always know the solution to every problem in advance.  This
is a fine answer for the end-user in most situations, but computers are
changing so fast at the moment and the field is growing so rappidly that
almost nobody can know everything.

Well, enough rambling...just my 2 cents worth for you to think about.

--David