[lug] [BLUGMETA] [JobAlert] VA Job opening(s) (fwd)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Apr 11 10:02:13 MDT 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:43:57 -0600
From: Charles Morrison <cmorrison at info2000.net>
To: meta at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: [BLUGMETA] [JobAlert] VA Job opening(s)

If you would be so kind as to forward this to your respective LUGS, I'd
appreciate it. I've added a [JobAlert] tag to the subject line, so those not
interested can delete it without wasting time.

Chuck Morrison

A lot of people have asked me about job openings at VA Linux Systems that don't
involve moving to California. As part of VA's plan for rapid expansion, the
systems engineers, aka area engineers will be expanded to double the current
number over the next few months.  Thus there will soon be an opening for
another person locally. BTW, It is not necessary to live in the Denver area, so
if this sounds interesting and you feel you may be qualified, drop me a line.

Job descriptions seem to constantly change in rapidly growing companies so
I can't tell you exactly what it will be for this position,  but perhaps I can
shed some light on what is involved.

This is a full time plus position. Expect to travel a fair amount to attend
training and visit customer sites. The current territory is large so this
is not the job to have if you can't stand travelling or living in hotels at
least a few days a month. You may be covering multiple time zones, so figure on
some evening phone calls.

Certainly a few years of experience with Linux is desired. This is a technical
position, right?. It would be helpful to have a broad base of server specific
knowledge, system admin, database, programming etc. It is very helpful to have
an area of expertise that you can bring to the organization (Games may count if
it is more than just playing them, for example).  Red Hat, Caldera,
LPI or other certification is not required.

SEs are required to be in a "jack of all trades" role. Hardware (especially
Intel based) and software knowledge is important. Active membership in LUGs and
involvement in the Linux/open source community is viewed favorably and
encouraged.

It is necessary to be able to learn on the job and be able to work well with
people, on the phone and in person. SE/AEs are part of the Sales organization
and a fair amount of pre and post sales work of a technical nature is involved.
It isn't necessary to be a raving extrovert, but you will be called on to make
public presentations from time to time.

You would be putting in long days and nights, expect to be compensated well for
it.

So, if I haven't scared everyone away, feel free to email me questions, resumes
(text formats only please) etc. I expect to be at the BLUG meeting on thursday
if you want to ask questions in person.

Thank you.

 --
Chuck Morrison