[lug] Multi-head display question

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Apr 10 18:11:56 MDT 2000

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Thus spoke "Harris, James A (Jim)"
> > I've got a couple of Matrox Millennium cards and a couple of monitors and
> > would like to fool around with multi-head X, but I can't find much in the
> > way of documentation on this type of configuration.  I've read through the
> > XFree86 HowTO and done some searching on the web and I'm not finding much
> > info aimed at setting it up and using it.
>
> Multi-Head was introduced (at least in a stable release) with XFree86 4.0,
> so chances are you'll have to upgrade your X server for that.  I have no idea
> if documentation exists for setting it up.
>
> Xi Graphics has supported multihead with the Millenium cards for at least 5
> years - all the way back to when I last worked for them.  I don't remember
> how the setup was, but in 5 years I'd think they would have made it
> pretty straight forward.  www.xig.com
> --
> Michael J. Hammel           |   I hope that after I die people will say of me:
> The Graphics Muse           |   "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org  |            Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey
> http://www.graphics-muse.com

Even before all this you could run more than 1 single-head X server on
the same machine, :0.0, :1.0, :2.0, so on. That's a pain. Get Xinerama
in the 4.0 X server, for a more seamless version.
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.0/

Be sure to back up your XF86Config and any other files you don't want
overwritten. If you have Redhat, compiling source fails for 6.0 or
before...you need 6.1.