[lug] script to lookup apache IP logs

Andrew Diederich andrew at netdelivery.com
Tue Apr 11 13:02:59 MDT 2000

I know I've seen this somewhere, but can't for the life of me find it.
I'm looking for a script to take an existing apache access log and
do lookups on the logged IPs en masse.

I remember seeing it referenced somewhere as a better alternative to
HostnameLookups Off in the apache settings -- just run this thing
nightly and it'd re-do your logs for you.

I'm currently using webalizer to parse about 3.5 months of log data
in daily files.  I've been particularly lazy today and just cat'd them
all together to get some quick results (instead of writing a script to
do it properly, with processing each day's files at a time), and
am looking to be even lazier.  There is a patch out there for webalizer
to do the lookups, but then I'd have to recompile webalizer instead
of using the fine rpm with my SuSE box.

Any ideas?

-Andrew
My employer's opinions are my own -- it was in the contract.