[lug] script to lookup apache IP logs

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Apr 11 21:16:41 MDT 2000

Did you say RPM? ;-)

ftp://ftp.pangalactic.org/pub/linux/RPMS/i386/webalizer-1.30.04-2.i386.rpm

Add a "ReverseLookup yes" line to /etc/webalizer.conf and you should
be set. Other configurable options (and their defaults) are:

DNSCache        8192
DNSTimeout      2

ftp://ftp.pangalactic.org/pub/linux/SRPMS/webalizer-1.30.04-2.src.rpm

is available as well if you are interested or need to rebuild for
SuSE compatibility (they are compiled for Red Hat 6.1).

Andrew Diederich wrote:

> I know I've seen this somewhere, but can't for the life of me find it.
> I'm looking for a script to take an existing apache access log and
> do lookups on the logged IPs en masse.
>
> I remember seeing it referenced somewhere as a better alternative to
> HostnameLookups Off in the apache settings -- just run this thing
> nightly and it'd re-do your logs for you.
>
> I'm currently using webalizer to parse about 3.5 months of log data
> in daily files.  I've been particularly lazy today and just cat'd them
> all together to get some quick results (instead of writing a script to
> do it properly, with processing each day's files at a time), and
> am looking to be even lazier.  There is a patch out there for webalizer
> to do the lookups, but then I'd have to recompile webalizer instead
> of using the fine rpm with my SuSE box.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Andrew
> My employer's opinions are my own -- it was in the contract.

Rob Riggs
http://www.pangalactic.org/