[lug] Lock files....

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Apr 20 08:59:13 MDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Jeff Howell wrote:

> Grissom wrote:
> >
> > Good question.  I am wondering the same.  I keep finding a lock file in my
> > $HOME/.netscape directory whenever I open more than one window of
> > Netscape.  Whats that all about?

As noted already, the lock file is there so that you don't get two copies
of netscape running simultaneously.  That could corrupt your browser
databases (cache, etc.).

> Simply hit ALT-N to get another window for netscape. It won't be a new instance
> and you won't have the lockfile problem.

You mean when netscape is the the active window right?  When I first read
this I thought you were trying to open a second virtual terminal and log
in.  I know see that netscapes shortcut for opening a new navigator window
(from inside netscape itself)  is ALT-N.  I usually use my mouse and
select file -> new -> (navigator window).

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)