[lug] Building a Linux Router - Sangoma WanPipe

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Thu Apr 20 13:10:27 MDT 2000

I am having a Frac/T1 installed. The vendor is against Ascend routers.
Compatible Systems is no longer a viable option, plus their firewall really
looks bad. I looked at Cisco routers, but it looks like I would be in the
price range of $2400-3000 by the time I purchase the firewall add-in,
CSU/DSU, and appropriate upgrades to the router.

Has anyone on the list built a router using the Sangoma WanPipe cards? It
seems like this would give me the best of both worlds. A reasonable price
($899), a highly configurable firewall (using IPChains), an OS that I know
fairly well, high manageability including remote management via SSH and
SNMP.

I would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experiences. Also, some
pointers on scaling hardware would be appreciated.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Voice: 303 438 9585
Fax: 303 469 9679