[lug] Summary of the April 13th, 2000 Boulder Linux Users Group meeting

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Apr 20 13:49:51 MDT 2000

            Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  approximately 60

Synopsis:  We were bumped from our normal meeting room, and ended up
in the conference room(s) 1105/1103 next door.  That made it kind of a
tight fit.  I think we crammed about as many people in there as was
reasonably possible.

Tony Foiani <tkil at scrye.com> was our featured speaker, and talked about
the Perl programing language.  An outline of his talk can be found at
http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/perl/perl-intro.txt.  For more information
on Perl he has provide the following list of URL's:

   general starting points:

      http://www.perl.com/
      http://www.perl.org/

   publications & books:

      http://www.tpj.com/
      http://www.manning.com/perl.html
      http://perl.oreilly.com/

   conferences:

      http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon2000/
      http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~lenzo/yapc/

   newsgroups:

   the comprehensive perl archive network (CPAN):

      http://search.cpan.org/
      http://www.perl.com/CPAN/

   important modules:

      http://www.symbolstone.org/technology/perl/DBI/index.html
      http://www.linpro.no/lwp/

   ports:

      http://www.activestate.com/
      http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri/macintosh/perl.html

   consultants and home pages:

      http://www.stonehenge.com/
      http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/
      http://www.5sigma.com/perl/
      http://slinky.scrye.com/~tkil/perl/

After the Perl pressentation, Philip Cartier gave a brief overview of the
booth the BLUG is planning for the Computer Technology Showcase and
Internet Expo being held in Denver April 26-27, 2000
<http://www.techshows.com/denver.htm>.  We wrapped up the evening with our
usual door prize drawing and question and answer session.

Next Meeting:  May 11, 2000, Greg Holling <gholling at rmi.net> will be
               talking about "Java and Linux"