[lug] X problem

PC Drew drewpc at colorado.edu
Fri Apr 21 20:14:00 MDT 2000

I just received two machines in the mail today from SGI for the
Computer & Technology Showcase on Wed. and Thurs. and one of them had
a problem starting X.

After I boot up and I get the login prompt, the screen flickers about
10 times and each time a message comes up saying "it seems like gpm
was maliciously shutdown previously" and then it says "problem
starting X, waiting 5 minutes to try again".

Then I log in to the system and type "startx" and a whole bunch of
errors spew on to the screen (so many that I can't read them all) and
it says "failed to start X".

Since these are loaner machines, I don't know anything about what type
of hardware they have, so I fear running Xconfigurator again.  Are
there any logs for X that I should know about?  I looked through
/var/log/messages, but there was nothing there.  Any ideas?

--
PC Drew

"To understand recursion, we must first understand recursion."

Text Pager: www.messaging.sprintpcs.com/
Cell Phone: 720.839.5222