[lug] 3D cards $%^#&$

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Apr 22 00:45:06 MDT 2000

I'm thoroughly convinced that 3D cards are a pain in the xxx.  I'm trying
to do simple screen grabs with this Voodoo3-3000 card.  No go.  I've tried
both the XF86 driver and the Xi driver.  This is pretty basic stuff.  I
haven't got time to wait for drivers that work with a card whose only
benefit is to pimply faced 12 years olds playing Quake.  Arrgggghhh!!!
It's probably one of these stupid 24bit vs 32bit truecolor issues, but I'm
not interested in figuring it out - I just need the $%#&%$ thing to work.
Watch it turn out to be the stupid Athlon-based motherboard.  Double
arrgghh!!

Does anyone have a high end 2D card that is known to work either with XF86
3.3.5 or Xi Graphics server?  I'm willing to buy it, but it needs at least
8Mb onboard memory and have at least a resolution of 1280x1024.  *AND* it
must permit me to use either Gimp 1.1.19 or XV 3.10a to do screen grabs!!
An 8 or 16mb Mystique card (if they ever made such a thing) would be ideal,
since I know the 4Mb card works.  I need it to run in truecolor mode too.
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com