[Re: [lug] DSL question]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Sun Apr 23 17:22:59 MDT 2000

Thanks for the info...
<random snips>
Samartha <qwerty at pobox.com> wrote:
> It's pretty much a no-brainer to set it up but one thing I found
> somewhat dangerous:
>
> when the router is reset, it has no passwords and just a <Return>
> allows access to router configuration. How a reset apart from reste command
> can be happening, I don't know - could a reset be happening by a crash?

My cisco comes setup in bridging mode already. From what I understand after
reading the Cisco docs and stuff is that I don't need to set anything up on
the router. For one the cisco can't do any 'routing' functions in bridging
mode unless I setup a management VC. Does this sound correct?

> One thing, however:  With a fixed IP, you will be scanned by
> hackers/crackeres/scriptkiddies and probed for vulnerabilities and
> possibly intruded if they find such. This is a fact and just a question
> of time, when it happens.
>
> You will need to have your system secured and up to date with
> security patches - unless you don't care reloading everything and
> spending a lot of time at one point in time after an intrusion.

I'm very aware of the type of probing my box will undergo. I had cable modem
for about a year in my old house with a static ip and I didn't go a day
without a portscan or telnet attempt, etc. I'm pretty confident on the
security of my router box, however, I also know that nothing is 100% secure so
I'm ready for anything that could happen. Thanks again for the help.

> Hope this helps,
>
> Samartha
>

>   01:42 AM 4/23/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi, I finally got DSL available in my area and have it setup to start on
the
> >2nd of the month. I have service with Uswest and I am using a Cisco 675
> >external modem. My isp uses the PPP mode with DSL, how does that work
exactly?
> >I've had cable modem in the past with a static ip and basically just
connected
> >that via ethernet to my redhat box. I am going to get a static ip with the
DSL