[Re: [lug] DSL question]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Sun Apr 23 17:38:12 MDT 2000

<snipped>
> Actually, no. You plug the DSL router into a hub or switch and start
> NAT on the router.  Then, you setup each one of your machines to have
> a gateway of 10.0.0.1 and start giving out IP addresses after that one
> (i.e. 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, etc).  If you don't want to do that, you can
> start the DHCP service on the DSL router and each machine will
> configure its own IP address.
>
> Now what you've got is a whole network of computers masquerading as
> one IP address when it goes out through your DSL router.  Using NAT
> (Network Address Translation), your non-routable IP address of
> 10.0.0.2 gets translated to something like: 12.13.14.15:32402
> (assuming 12.13.14.15 is your IP address, then the 32402 is a random
> port number) and then everything works fine.

I'm kinda confused now. The scenario I am trying to complete is this. My linux
router box has two eth interfaces eth0 and eth1. Since the Cisco router comes
pre configured in bridging mode (ie: no routing functions) I have it connected
to eth0 in my linux box. Then eth1 (192.168.1.1) goes to my hub on the
internal network and this I use as my gateway for my other machines (ipchains
does the masq'ing/routing for the interfaces). I 'plan' on configuring eth0
with the DSL static ip and dns info. This way my linux box acts as my frontend
firewall, ftp server, webserver, blah blah. Anyhow, that is how I had it setup
on my cable modem. Are these other options that you have been talking about
"better" with the cisco router features?

Thanks again...
Justin