[lug] NIC module problems solved

joker joker at home.com
Tue Apr 25 08:22:58 MDT 2000

I was having trouble loading the modules for my nics.    I was using insmod statements while I was in the directory /var/modules/xxxx (version #).    If I tried the modules found in any other directory,  I would get a nasty message telling me not to do so.    Anyways,  after a while of pulling my hair out,  I noticed that the modules listed in linuxconf where different from the ones that I was using the the modules directory.   Some are listed, but are not *.o files in the modules directory.    Some *.o files (3c90x.o for example) are modules,  but are not listed as an option in linuxconf.

What gives ?   Where are the modules that linux conf are using ?  Which ones are blessed ?