[lug] Linux with ISDN

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Wed Apr 26 19:31:37 MDT 2000

>Subba Rao wrote:
>  >
>  > I have been hearing a lot about the availability of ISDN solution
>  > for Linux, but I haven't found a decent FAQ or HOWTO document that
>  > talks about the setup or issues with ISDN/Linux.
>  >
>  > What ISDN hardware is supported on Linux?
>  >
>  > The kernel compilation has a big section for the ISDN subsystem.
>  > Yet, on the web I do not find much Linux/ISDN solution in English.
>
>I would recommend not bothering with any of the internal
>ISDN cards that require kernel support and just get yourself
>an inexpensive ISDN router. I have one from Toshiba that cost
>a paltry $120. (This one has an integrated 4 port hub -- the
>router only model is in the $100 range.) The Toshiba router
>has a decent web interface and was a breeze to set up.
>
>--
>Rob Riggs

Nicer routers are worth the money.  The Lucent stuff works well.  The
lower-cost routers sooner or later will give you telco fits in my
experience.  You get what you pay for.

Dealing with an internal card doesn't sound like fun.  If you want
really cheap though, get a used Buttsniffer (er, bitsurfr) for $25
and connect it with a serial cable, and do any routing on your Linux
box.

Chris
Peak to Peak Internet