[lug] Mirroring

Alan Robertson alanr at suse.com
Wed Apr 26 02:04:02 MDT 2000

Charles Morrison wrote:

> Look on
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org
>
> Also, rsync is used for this purpose quite a bit.
>
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > Does anybody have any knowledge in mirroring servers? Or perhaps you know of a good
> > place of reference on the subject?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shannon

I guess I should have said that I'm probably as knowledgeable on this
subject as anyone.  What kind of server do you want to mirror?  What are
your requirements on data synchronization, etc.?

If I understand your needs correctly, what you want is also called a
"high-availability" server.

The main issues are:

	Mirroring data across servers (I would suggest drbd or rsync)

	Detecting server failure, and switching over to the mirror server on
failure
		(I recommend "heartbeat" - since I wrote it ;-))

If you also want to have a high-performance "server farm" of more than
two servers, then you need to look at at LVS, exactly as Chuck suggested
above.  These pieces all play together nicely.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at suse.com