[lug] Linux with ISDN

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Thu Apr 27 05:39:08 MDT 2000

On  0, Rob Riggs <rob at pangalactic.org> wrote:
> Subba Rao wrote:
> >
> > I have been hearing a lot about the availability of ISDN solution
> > for Linux, but I haven't found a decent FAQ or HOWTO document that
> > talks about the setup or issues with ISDN/Linux.
> >
> > What ISDN hardware is supported on Linux?
> >
> > The kernel compilation has a big section for the ISDN subsystem.
> > Yet, on the web I do not find much Linux/ISDN solution in English.
>
> I would recommend not bothering with any of the internal
> ISDN cards that require kernel support and just get yourself
> an inexpensive ISDN router. I have one from Toshiba that cost
> a paltry $120. (This one has an integrated 4 port hub -- the
> router only model is in the $100 range.) The Toshiba router
> has a decent web interface and was a breeze to set up.

Thanks for replying. Resistance to internal adapters is what is concerning me.
Is compiling a new kernel the only concern? I compile new kernels pretty frequently.
Several folks have recommended external terminal adapter. There are not many reasons
for this advice.

My preference is to have an internal ISDN adapter (just like the modem) in Linux.
Then I can still use ipchains for masquerading and packet filtering for my LAN.

Any thoughts on that?

Thank you once again.
--

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com