[lug] Linux with ISDN

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Thu Apr 27 11:09:02 MDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris M" <chrism at peakpeak.com>

> This is not true.  ISDN has much wider coverage, and can use repeaters to
> extend the distance even further.  It's also more reliable and is
> circuit-switched, not cloud-switched, which has tremendous reliability
> implications.

Ok, I'm confused.  RADSL as practiced by USWorst has a range of
15,000 line-ft, and ISDN isn't a whole lot further.  Furthermore,  ISDN is
dramatically slower, and being circuit switched, uses more resources,
hence the higher price.  And while repeaters aren't yet available (or
at least widely deployed) for DSL, they are coming.  The range
will be extended, because if it isn't the Telcos know they are going
to get slaughtered on broadband by the CATV people.

As for qualifying the line, remember that USWorst doesn't do a line
quality test unless you really bug them.  They look up your line in a
database.  If you ever had a mux on your line they will claim you don't
qualify even if you're 200' from the CO.   So you need to get a distance
measurement first, and once you've confirmed you are within area you
have to really bug them until they fix they fix the database.  Its a chore,
but I get 600+Kbps and believe me, its worth it!

And as for reliability, there are occaisionaly problems.  I've had to
reset my router twice since I got it last July, and once my ISP
(not USWorst) had to reset me.  I don't know if this is worse than
ISDN or not.  I do know that even using an ISP other than USWorst
it is less expensive than two pegged B-channels.

-- archer