[lug] More script questions

socket at peakpeak.com socket at peakpeak.com
Sun Apr 30 21:07:51 MDT 2000

John Karns <jkarns at csd.net> writes:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Tom Tromey was reputed to have said:
>
> > winrip> Anyway I got this far but I can't figure this last error out.
> >
> > You really want to read the sh manual.
>
> Try "man bash"  for almost 6k lines of info.  I also find the O'Reilly
> book "Learning the Bash Shell" invaluable for scripting and general Bash
> info.

And if you really want to get into it, I recommend O'Reilly's "Unix
Power Tools" book - it covers lots of material relevant to shells and
shell scripting.  find, awk, sed, scripting, terminals, vi, emacs,
searching, sorting, scheduling, permissions, history, lots and lots of
other related things.  It's a good two inches of dense material, and I
still haven't gotten all the way through it, but I think it's a great
reference and guide to stuff-to-do-with-shells if you're looking for
something beyond the manpages.

--
Chris Riddoch      socket -at- peakpeak -dot- com
Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food