[lug] another newbe

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue May 2 11:01:11 MDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, wrd wrote:

> i am attempting to get linux installed. i am an experienced user, (dos
> 3.x - win 98, os/2), but new to linux. i have installed a couple of
> times only to run up against a wall while trying to get on the net and
> had to uninstall. need to have internet access or dual boot sys so i can
> get farther support once i am running.

There is no reason that you should be uninstalling the Linux system if you
are having network problems.  These should be fix able without rebooting or
reinstalling. Of course, it may be useful to set your box up in dual boot
mode in case you have Windows working with your ISP.  Then at least, you
could switch to Windows to send and receive e-mail.  Either way, we can't
provide much help unless you give us more details describing your problem:

   - What Linux Distribution?

   - Is the problem occurring during the installation?

   - What exactly is the problem?

   - What errors are you getting?  (exact wording helps)

   - What kind of network connection do you have?

etc..

> really would like to find a group
> in the pueblo or springs area. can you direct me to a group or
> individual that might do some hand holding while i get this up and
> running.

You should try contacting Frederic Herman <fherman at inferential.com>
of the Pikes Peak Linux Users group.  He is is a better position to tell
you what resources are available in this area.

For future reference, the Boulder Linux Users Group does try to keep a
current listing of LUG's in the Colorado region.  You can access this list
via the web at http://lug.boulder.co.us/linuxlinks.html.

I hope this helps.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)