[lug] Linux Single User/Embeded (HELP?)

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Tue May 2 14:51:45 MDT 2000

George Sexton wrote:

> Have you tried making this program their shell in /etc/passwd?

The problem isn't getting the program to run when the user
logs in, the problem is that he wants the system to come up
logged in as the test user.  The way to do this is to make
clever use of agetty, which I just now looked at (thank
goodness Linux runs on laptops!).  Used with the -l (something
other than /bin/login) and -n (don't prompt for a username)
you should be able to get Linux to come multiuser running
your application on the first virtual terminal.  You do
this by making changes in inittab to the virtual consoles
section (c1..c6 on my slackware distro, YMMV, of course).

Good luck!

Archer Sully
Boulder, CO