[lug] Scanners?

ICG Sucks ICG-Sucks at peakpeak.com
Thu May 4 19:44:53 MDT 2000

>Thus spoke Chris M
>  > I used to work at the scanner software division of HP, one of my best
>  > buddies is the *inventor* of TWAIN. What a stud.
>
>It's a moot point - TWAIN isn't supported under Linux.

No duh.

It's not a moot point if you're looking for a reason on why to listen.

>  > etc.  And these people are all writing for Windows.  Mac is a distant
>  > second.  "What's Linux?" they all say :)
>
>Not all of them.  The work done on the UMAX scanners under SANE is pretty
>solid, helped by some input from UMAX I believe.  The support for UMAX in
>SANE is the reason I went with UMAX.  Sean might have some input about HP
>support using XVScan or other tools.

UMAX is subsidized by the Chinese government and years ago sold below
cost. Their support has sucked a large one for years. Let's not get
too excited about them. Unless you're desperate, think about a solid
Windows solution.  If that's a non-starter, then I think you are in
for a fair amount of pain.

I have a UMAX scanner sitting on a shelf, it'd make a lovely planter
if I broke the glass out of it.

Chris