[lug] Will they hire you?? Was the C++ thread!!

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun May 7 20:30:49 MDT 2000

Sitting here reading through old BLUG stuff, and couldn't resist a
comment on this one...

I've shot down at least three canidates at my workplace for doing
exactly what you listed below.  Well, maybe I should say the "group
interview process" did it?

If someone lists something on their resume', I make the assumption that
they're ready and able to convincingly answer questions about whatever they
put on the resume'.

Canidates who list every piece of technology they (or anyone in their
office) has worked on in the last 20 years is just begging for a
gruelling interview from me if I know anything about what they've listed.

If you're prepared with details and can answer intelligent questions
about the things you listed, you'll do fine.

I don't appreciate people who list everything from IBM Mainframes and
SNA to the latest Cisco 12000 series routers... "Have experience
with...", and then can't come up with the use of TRACEROUTE in a basic
troubleshooting scenario.  In fact, I struggle not to feel personally
insulted that the canidate is wasting my time.

On a lighter note though...

Good luck in your job hunt!  Interviews aren't the funnest way to spend
a day, but go for it.  Jump in, the water's fine!   :)

Nate Duehr

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>