[lug] Scripting PPP

Charles Morrison cmorrison at info2000.net
Mon May 8 11:56:15 MDT 2000

Personally, I would be more paraniod. I'd create a priviledged group that can
connect using ppp0 and use a non-root user for the script. It wasn't too long
ago, maybe still is with some distros, that this was about the only way I
could use ppp without being root. I'm sure there were others, but It was how I
did it.

On Mon, 08 May 2000, you wrote:
> I am writing a script that automates a session to dial up and establish
> a ppp session and then ftp a file. I'm looking for opinions on security
> in the ppp dial up. The way I was planning to do this is to just use
> sudo so the user the script runs under can activate the `ifup ppp0`
> command. Does this sounds like a good idea? Am I being too paranoid? I
> was also thinking I could just put the script in root's crontab so it
> would run as root.
>
> Opinions?
> --
>
> ----