[lug] Re: Time & Frequency seminars 2000 (fwd)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Wed May 10 10:49:19 MDT 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, Bob Collins wrote:

> I thought others may have the same question I have about this email.
>
> I have looked at it with "view source" trying to see how it is displayed
> with color and I don't see anything.  How was the note created to
> display in color?

Well, I didn't see any color since I displayed it as plain text myself.
There may be a couple possible explanations though.

The defacto standard (don't get me started) mail client at NIST is Eudora.
I think that out of the box this comes configured to send formated text
and/or html.  A lot of recent e-mail is not broadcast in two parts.  A
pure ASCII text block followed by an html formated block.  I suppose it is
possible that this message was sent that way and your mailer interpreted
the html block to get the colors.  The other possibility is that I've
occassionally noticed that people using Eudora send messages with what I
assume to be ANSII or ISO-8859 special character codes.  There may be a
code sequence that specifies the text color and this might be what you are
seeing.

I just forewarded the message on to the list.  I didn't create it.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)