[lug] Page layout & design apps

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu May 11 08:49:28 MDT 2000

On 11 May 2000 socket at peakpeak.com wrote:

> Every once in a while, I help a friend of mine do some layout and
> design on the children's books she writes.  In the past, I've used a
> ridiculously old version of Aldus Pagemaker for Windows 3.1.  It's
> quite sufficient for what we need, feature-wise.  In my brief time in
> journalism, I became relatively familiar with QuarkXPress, and it
> occurred to me this morning (since another book from a friend is on
> the way, in a couple weeks) that I haven't looked for comparable page
> layout programs under Linux.
>
> If anybody has recommendations, please let me know.

You might want to check out Adobe Framemaker.  However, I'm not too
certain if Framemaker has a layout capability or is simply more of a word
processor?

Another possibility would be LaTeX and TeX.  These are more precisely
known as typesetting programs.  I'd guess they would give you the same
control (possibly more) than a page layout editor.

Let us know what you find out.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)