[lug] Trying to bind IP to eth0

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed May 17 23:05:45 MDT 2000

Justin wrote:

> I'm trying to bind an ip to my eth0 device but I get this error:
>
> [root at naz glowecon]# /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 63.228.67.68
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> syslog shows this:
> May 17 06:01:56 naz modprobe: modprobe: insmod eth0:1 failed
> May 17 06:01:56 naz modprobe: modprobe: insmod eth0:1 failed
>
> Does that mean I need to compile in ip aliasing into the kernel? Or am I doing
> something wrong?
>
>                            Justin

Just guessing here, but possibly the card does not have its hardware
initialized, or else requires parameters for initializing to succeed. If
it is ISA slot, and PnP, you have to set up the irq and base address. If
it is PCI, you may still have to provide arguments to state what the
card has been set to by the bios...check /proc/pci, and lspci -v for
device statistics if PCI...pnpdump if ISA pnp...dmesg for either...and
any info in /var/log/messages. Other possibilities exist, that's just
the easy/usual one. Also, see if "depmod -a" mentions the module having
symbol errors.