[Re: [lug] Trying to bind IP to eth0]

Archer Sully archer at meer.net
Thu May 18 10:40:48 MDT 2000

Justin wrote:

> The nic works fine. It's a pci card as is currently running as my external
> interface on my network with a routable ip. I just want to bind another ip to
> it. I'm gonna take a look at the ifup-aliases script that was suggested by
> someone else. I don't know if I have that script file or not in my init.d
> directory since I'm not at home. I'll check later tonight but thanks...

The real question here is what kernel are you running?  ipaliases is a
default #define in recent 2.2.x kernels.  One problem that I've noticed
with ipalias is that it doesn't appear to give you a way, or at least
an easy way, to configure one interface on two different networks.  It
seems to be designed only to allow one host to appear as different IP
addresses on the same network.

You also have to make sure that the interface is up and running on the
primary IP address before attempting to bring up any aliases, and that
may be your problem here if you are trying to bring up the alias from
single user mode.

-- archer