[lug] trouble posting to mailing list(s)

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu May 18 15:26:42 MDT 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, David Emile Lamy wrote:

> You can use Pine to access your isp's pop server directly.  Go to the Main
> menu, choose Setup, then Config and enter:
>
> {your.pop.server.here/pop3}inbox
>
> in the inbox-path = field.

Hmmm are you sure it supports POP?  I was fairly certain that it would do
IMAP, but I was not sure about POP.  I fought with this several years ago,
so my memory of the battle is pretty fuzzy.  In the end, I finally
switched to fetchmail and had no more problems.

> As well, if your enter your isp user name in the user-name = field and the
> isp's smtp server name in the smtp-server = field and the isp's domain
> name (like uswest.net) in the user-domain = field.

Sure, I do this all the time, but the original question (not my question
by the way) dealt with user authentication.  I don't think that at this
level we are authenticating users.  In order to be able to use the smtp
connection you have to first make a ppp connection.  Establishing the ppp
connection would be where your user authentication would take place. Once
the connection is made, then I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the use
of the smtp server is allowed based on the IP address of your connection.

> As for running as root, don't.

Indeed!

> Perhaps if you tell the list which
> distribution you're using, and which version of XFree86, someone can give
> you specific configuration advice.

I agree.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)