[lug] trouble posting to mailing list(s)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu May 18 16:50:19 MDT 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > As a side note, I could never get pine to work, because it required me
> > to change my localhost pass of the regular user to the same pass as my
> > modem dialup pass...something I am unwilling to do. Does anyone know how
> > to tell pine what password to use when authenticating with the isp,
> > which is remote to the pine client, without changing the local machine
> > password?
>
> I don't quite understand what you were trying to do with pine?  Pine
> shouldn't be doing any password authentication with your ISP.  At least, I
> can't think of why it would need to.  The ISP connection should be handled
> by your dialup scripts and PPPD.
>
> Pine will just allow you to read and compose e-mail.  Reciept and delivery
> of the e-mail is handled by the mail transport agent (sendmail, smail,
> qmail, etc.).  If you are trying to use POP to get your mail you would
> have to setup something like fetchmail to POP the mail from your server
> and inject it into your local mail system.  Fetchmail will handle your
> authentication with the POP or IMAP server.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)

Apparently my isp rejects pop3 requests without some sort of user ID.
Even in Netscape, I have to tell it what my password is (but it
memorizes it if wanted), as a preference.

The ppp connection does its own pap authentication, for dialup, but is
insufficient to get access to the email. Pine has a menu item "Change
Password", which seems to be a frontend to the unix passwd command.
Because I have to get my email from multiple machines, I don't download
mail to my local one. What I did want was a text-based mail reader that
could read my ISP without deleting everything on the server as it
downloads...pine just happens to be the one I considered.