[lug] Back to original - trouble with e-mail posting

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri May 19 14:33:42 MDT 2000

On Wed, 17 May 2000 20:12:03 -0600 Arnie Sherman Wrote:

> Hi folks, I have been having trouble posting to several mailing lists,
> including this one. I am able to post from windows using Netscape 4.51,
> and from Linux using kmail (which I am using now), but when I try to
> post from Linux with Netscape (4.51) my posts do not go through.
>
> I have been exchanging emails with Wayde about this, but so far we
> cannot figure this out. Since some other people on the list seem to have
> the same trouble, Wayde suggested I post to the list and see what
> suggestions people may have for correcting this.
>
> As near as I can tell, the trouble seems to be that Linux Netscape
> creates a 'Sender: ' mail header which contains the value 'arnie', which
> is my username on my machine. The 'Email Address:' and 'Reply to: in my
> Netscape preferences both contain my email address at my ISP, which is
> asherman1 at uswest.net.  That is also the address I used to subscribe to
> the list For whatever reason, Linux Netscape does not see this, and uses
> 'arnie' as the Sender. Obviously this is not a valid email address.
>
> Any suggestions for troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated,
> and a solution would aid both myself, and other Linux users on some
> other mailing lists who have told me they have the same trouble.

I fear that we may have lost track of the original question about e-mail
posting problems.  I figured I'd see about restarting this discussion so
that we might solve Arnie's problem.

Basically, when Arnie tries posting to the BLUG list I get a bounce
since the list can only determine that the message is being sent
from the e-mail address "arnie".  Upon examining his mail headers I find
the line:

   sender:  arnie

which obviously is not a complete e-mail address.  The list bounces the
message since it only allows posts to come from subscribed e-mail
addresses.

I've been seeing more and more of this line showing up in peoples' mail
headers, and quite often the address given in this line doesn't match the
address that the person actually is using.  Whenever this happens the
listserver (Mailman) rejects the message.

Anyone know why we are now seeing this header line?  Where is it being
generated - in the mail transport agent (sendmail, etc.) or in the clients?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)