[lug] Back to original - trouble with e-mail posting

arnie asherman1 at uswest.net
Fri May 19 19:15:39 MDT 2000

John-David Childs wrote:

>  Hrrm....my versions of Netscape send the complete fully-qualified domain
>  name in the Sender: line (i.e. jdc at myhost.mydomain.com).  I'm using the
>  Linux 4.72 Communicator under FreeBSD.  Is it possible that arnie's
>  machine doesn't have a fully qualified hostname?

Yes, I'd say that's the case. When I set up Linux, I entered a hostname of
frenomulax.frenomulax.net, as a lark, but this is not a real registered domain
name. When I sent a test message using mailx, the 'From:' header shows:
arnie at frenomulax.frenomulax.net

BTW, I am able to post to the Caldera Linux list from Netscape with no trouble,
though there are several other lists, including this one, which do not accept
the posts.

--
arnie sherman
frenomulax at bigfoot.com