[lug] trouble posting to mailing list(s)

John-David Childs jdc at nterprise.net
Sat May 20 01:55:45 MDT 2000

On Friday May 19, 2000, D. Stimits <stimits at idcomm.com>
 had this to say about "Re: [lug] trouble posting to mailing list(s)":

> Wayde Allen wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 18 May 2000, D. Stimits wrote:
> >
> > I personally have never used Pine that way.  I have only used it as a mail
> > client and relied on other software to handle the mail transport. For
> > instance, on my home machine I use fetchmail to POP mail off of my wife's
> > ISP.  This can be configured to leave the mail on your ISP as you say you
> > want to do.

In Pine, (g)oing to the folder {mail.myisp.com/pop3}INBOX will bring up a
login/password dialog to retrieve your mail via POP3 from mail.myisp.com.
You can also use IMAP e.g. {mail.myisp.com/imap}INBOX

You can set {mail.myisp.com/pop3}INBOX as your default inbox in the
.pinerc file

  I also seem to remember that it can POP mail from multiple
> > sites.  In this case, the Fetchmail software handles the username/password
> > authentication with the POP server, gets the mail, and injects it into
> > your local mail system.

Pine (or mutt or probably elm, but I haven't used that one in forever) can
be set up to retrieve and store mail from as many different servers as you
wish.  I use mutt all the time to store/forward mail to my home server,
and when forced to, I can use IMAP over SSH-tunnel with Netscape Mail or
Outcrook 2000.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)	Enterprise Internet Solutions
Systems Administration          http://www.nterprise.net