[lug] Remote Syslogd

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Sun May 21 09:28:24 MDT 2000

I'm trying to have my syslog from my monitor'less box log to another
machine that I have. On the box that is sending the syslog I have syslogd
running like this:
   /usr/sbin/syslogd -r -h -m 0
   syslog.conf file:
   *.info;mail.none     @ns2

On the machine that is recieving (remote) the syslog output I have these
parameters:
   syslogd -r -m 0
firewall entry:
   /sbin/ipchains -A input -p udp -s <ip.of.ns2> -d 0/0 514 -j ACCEPT
Both machines have 514 as a udp service in /etc/services. What I don't know is
if these settings are correct. Also, where is the syslog stored on the remote
machine since there is already a /var/log/messages for the local logging? Does
the remote box need a parameter in syslog.conf so it knows where to keep the
remote syslog logfile?? I also verified that the remote box is accepting udp
requests for ns2.ip by way of <ipchains -L>. Thanks for any help...

Justin